Monday 8 November 2010

Brisbane Day 1 feat. Bernard

Wull hullo. It's our 2nd day in Brisbane and we were supposed to be at the zoo today but the forecast was storms so we decided to postpone until tomorrow. Instead we have come to the internet cafe (a novel experience after 4 years away from this sort of thing) and are booking our zoo tickets online to get a discount, amongst other things (which is proving to be rather difficult).
Yesterday was a very long day. I was up at 5am (the equivalent of 2am in Brisbane where I have learned there is no daylight savings) and had a smooth journey over to meet Sarah and her friend Linda on the corner of Edward and Turbot Streets - though there were so many 'big black cars' I did miss them driving by and Sarah had to run back for me. Linda then kindly took us to our home for the next 3 days - the Kookaburra Hostel. We dropped our stuff off and I got changed into my new summer dress (bliss) and headed out into town. We wandered to the main shopping street, had a spot of lunch and then headed over the river to the south bank. We followed this past the city beach and lagoon and then headed back to the north side for a walk through the Botanical Gardens where we came upon Bernard. Bernard was, and hopefully still is, a lizard of some sort, the biggest one I've ever seen in the wild, but not big in Aussie standards I'm sure. He was chilling out in the sun, though kept eyeing us up as we took photos (even doing a fabulous little walk to distance himself from us at one point).
In the evening Sarah's other friend Debbie came to pick us up and we went for a meal at a Meditteranean restaurant. I had a Turkish Pizza with Spit Roast Lamb, Rocket, Yoghurt and Sumac. I put these ingredients in capitals because they were soooooo delicious. Debbie then took us up to Kangaroo Point to look at the city by night. I have to say I was pooped by this point (about 8.30) and we were soon back at the hostel for an early night. Sadly I didn't sleep too well, as is my way in new and unfamiliar places, but I made it through and hope for a better snooze tonight.

5 comments:

Laura Pryde said...

Sounds like the holiday has started well my friend. I feel that it would have been even better if there actually WERE kangaroos at Kangaroo Point, but I'm sure you'll come across them soon. In fact! You can feed them in the zoo as Fred and I did when we were there. It's fabulous! Just make sure you don't sit in roo poo like Fred did...xx

Sally said...

That pizza does sound divine. Please give my love to Sarah!

Lals, I am loving the fact that I now know Fred sat in roo poo.

Kt said...

Yes I also love this fact - ha to you Fred you gollah!
What ho Nige, Albie!

Kt said...

Oh bum, am I Nige? Seriously I can never remember!

Laura said...

I never remember myself to be honest. Let us just flit between them both and be one for all and all for one!